Two items of note about church—Elder McGowen was sustained as a counselor in the Branch Presidency and we had another record attendance at church—39 which included 16 not-of-our-faith (three 6 year olds, and 13 investigators). We had twelve attend Primary and only one was a member. Five of the seven who were new last week were back again. I chose “I Am a Child of God” for the opening song. After I sang a phrase, they would repeat it. Then I would ask questions to define terms. Finally we sang it all the way through. So I taught the Plan of Salvation through the Primary song. The children love the songs. I’m grateful for the Children’s Song book which includes fun songs and the sweet testimonies with beautiful melodies. Sister Stanley taught the lesson on the Holy Ghost. We had to define many words there, too. One of the pictures she used was Alma baptizing in the Waters of Mormon. Mosiah 18:11 states that the people were so happy to know they could be baptized as a witness of their covenant with the Lord that they will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon them that they clapped their hands with joy. I said I know a song about that, so we sang “When you are happy and you know it, clap your hands!” The children also love coloring and really enjoyed the sharing time activity where they colored a CTR shield and then drew a picture about a commandment they can keep to help them draw closer to the Lord. Then we found a scripture about the commandment they depicted. I have attached a picture of the children in Primary (one left before the picture).
After church, I taught Jordan’s music lesson while Pres. Daniels conducted interviews and meetings. We took the missionaries with us to do some visits afterwards. We were able to meet with Milton for the first time and saw Chevanese as well as Valerie’s sister.
We had the usual office duties this week. A few interesting things include: Renel Prophete made it safely to Haiti where the mission president there will help him get the visa he needs to go to the Dominican Republic to the MTC. I got to order tickets for three more people to go to the temple in July.
We changed our preparation day this week so we could go with the other senior couples on an outing. We drove out to the east end of the island—all in our branch, then turned north to Reach Falls which wasn’t in our branch. It was absolutely beautiful! I’ve attached some pictures. We visited Brother Graham, a member of our branch, on the way home. We had never been there before since he lives so far away. It is about two hours east of Yallahs. He was very happily surprised by our visit.
We celebrated Elder Daniels’ 65th birthday by going out to eat at Gauchos. We received packages this week—Elder Daniels’ Fathers Day and birthday package from Amy and an early birthday package for me from Annette. Thank you all for all your love and support.
We attended a University Singers concert at the University of West Indies Friday night. We found out about it from LaToya Williams, the Physical Facilities Assistant. She said her high school choral group won awards and many of the people went on to sing with the University Singers at UWI. They have a month-long concert series each year and this was the last weekend. We were so happy that we were able to attend. They were very talented musicians and very professional performers. The music ranged from classical, to Jamaican folk songs, to 70s pop music.
Saturday we got up early to clean and do some laundry before working at the mission office to make up for our P-day on Thursday. That evening we got our groceries on the way home and did more laundry. It was worth it to have had time with the other couples.
We love you. Our relationships with you are very dear to us. We are grateful we know they can continue if we take advantage of the blessings promised by the Lord. He has showed us the way, provided ordinances and the proper authority to administer them. If we keep his commandments and make and keep sacred promises “rich blessings are in store” for we know “His promises are sure” (3rd and 4th verses of “I Am A Child of God”).
Mom and Dad/Grandma and Grandpa/Sister and Elder Daniels
No comments:
Post a Comment