Sunday, April 10, 2016

email from Jamaica Dated February 21, 2012

Note:  Edited 29Apr2016 -- PJD



We attached a picture of Nadine Lofters, a new music student, and the Relief Society sorting donated clothing. 

We were busy with paperwork again this week.  Elder Weir, a Jamaican called to serve in the Florida Tallahassee Mission, has been serving with us here while waiting for his US visa.  We received his clearance this week so he could have an appointment at the US embassy here in Kingston.  To make the appointment we had to pay two separate fees at the bank, get a pin number, call for the appointment, fill out an online application, and then wait for the date of the appointment.  Elder Weir had to submit the online application personally so I went online and filled out part of it, then he got permission to go to the meetinghouse in the area where he is serving and finish the form.  I was on the phone while he worked on the form so I could look up information for him in his file.  The assistants to the president drove to pick him up the night before his appointment (he is 5 hours away from Kingston).  He came by the mission office the next morning to pick up the packet (over 70 pages) and documents from Salt Lake City that he needed to take with him to the embassy.  I asked if he needed a copy of the confirmation page from the online application but he said he already had a copy.  Unfortunately when the Office Elders took him to the embassy, they discovered he had the copy of what he wrote on the application but not the confirmation page.  There was a street vendor who accessed the internet with his laptop computer and printed it out for $1000 JAD.  Since there was not time to return to the mission office before his scheduled appointment they paid that price.  Another challenge will be picking up his passport when the visa is ready.  Elder Weir has to do it himself and once again it is a long way from where he is serving to Kingston.  I wrote to the travel office in Salt Lake City for permission to get his ticket to the Missionary Training Center without providing a copy of his visa after explaining the situation.  So Elder Weir will be able to come to Kingston and get his passport on his way to the MTC.

This week there were more flights to schedule for President and Sister Hendricks and I started applications for a couple (Tracy Meddow originally from Yallahs and Ronald Andersen originally from Negril) to go to the temple to be sealed.  They have to be married here in Jamaica first.  So they planned that wedding for Saturday, April 14th and will be sealed the next Wednesday in the Panama City Temple.  Flights from Jamaica to Panama are only on Tuesday evening if you don’t go through the United States.  Tracy and Pres. Andersen (he is in the District Presidency) are a wonderful couple.  They both served missions, she to Atlanta, GA, and he to Jamaica.  We are very happy they can be married in the temple with the help of the Temple Patron Assistance Fund.

Friday we sent documents to apply for immigration for two Elders to be able to be transferred to the Bahamas.  It has been taking 8-12 weeks to get clearance.  Elder Daniels documented charges on the mission credit card and I requested a change in the itinerary for Elder Tuai who finishes his mission next week.  He needed more time to get through immigration and customs in Miami before catching the next flight on his way home.  Elder Daniels helped with a disciplinary council that evening.

We had a quiet preparation day Saturday.  Just did our household chores and grocery shopping after responding to an alarm at the mission office.  We thought of Amy who had her baby shower.  We are grateful for all the support she has at home from family and friends.  We are happy that Mike and Leann returned safely from their trip that day, too.  We appreciated Amy and LeAnn going to Brother Blackmore’s funeral.  We are so happy to have such a wonderful family.

Sunday Arleen Francis who was baptized the month we arrived here gave one of talks in Sacrament Meeting.  She has really progressed.  Elder Danvers, a brand-new Jamaican missionary, also spoke.  He has only been a member of the church for a year and 3 months.  We hope he can help the men in our branch return to activity and strengthen the young men by his good example.  Since one of the speakers didn’t come, Elder Daniels called on Elder Hobbs who is being transferred to the mission office.  Elder Hobbs gave a powerful 25minute sermon on conversion.  One of his points that really impressed me was that when people have manifestations even as dramatic as seeing an angel, that testimony is not as lasting as the witness from the Holy Ghost.  He explained that when you see a vision or are visited by an angel it is your physical senses that are involved.  You see, you hear, etc.  Later those feelings or memories can dim.  But when you receive a witness from the Holy Ghost, it is spirit communicating with

spirit.  That witness is more powerful, more memorable, more lasting.  I am so grateful that the Lord has blessed us to be able to discern truth by the inspiration of the Holy Ghost.   Alma speaks for me, “Do ye suppose that I know of these things myself?  Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true.  And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?  Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God.  Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself.  And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit.” (Alma 5:45-46)

I taught four music lessons after church—Nadine, Shanise, Jhuel and Bristol.  Jordan accompanied the last hymn in Sacrament Meeting.  I was really proud of him. 

The humanitarian missionaries brought in bales of clothes for the needy.  We took one with us to Yallahs and the Relief Society presidency sorted and distributed the clothes.  Next week we will take two more bales—one for men, one for children.  We were late getting home since we left Yallahs after dark.

Monday we had a somber devotional as we learned that Elder Gurr’s mother passed away Saturday from breast cancer.  He was able to make a Skype call to his family while his mother was in the hospital Friday.  He is doing very well coping with a very hard situation.  We testify that he can be with his mother again, as we all can be with our loved ones if we make and keep sacred covenants.

Love,
Sister and Elder Daniels (Mom and Dad, Grandma and Grandpa—Amah and Agong)

No comments: