Monday, May 2, 2011

Email: March 13 Love from Jamaica

Dear Family,

Another busy week for us. We hope you are all well. In the picture we are standing in front of the mission office. Notice how the wind caught the tie!

Tuesday Elder Daniels went to the University of West Indies Hospital to pick up a medical report on a member of our branch who wants to serve a mission. I got paperwork for two new missionaries, so started their paperwork.

Wednesday, was a very quiet day since Ash Wednesday is a national holiday. The Office Elders and Assistants to the President were out all morning for district meetings and President Hendricks was in the Bahamas conducting interviews. We were late getting home because the security system went out. We were told that they were on their way to come fix it at 4:15 but at 7:30 we finally got to go home.

Thursday we received a huge order from the Distribution Center. It kept me busy inventorying everything and getting the items ready for the missionaries who placed the orders. We received an email from a New York mission asking that we send someone to give a blessing to a man in the hospital here. He is not a member of our faith, but his sister requested that we go visit him. While the missionaries were at the hospital the sister called to talk to her brother and was able to also speak to the missionaries. She asked them to talk to him about the Word of Wisdom. When they did the man responded, “She’s been after me for years to not drink and smoke and that is probably why I’m here now.” He asked the missionaries to continue to teach him when he is released from the hospital.

Friday I started immigration papers for three missionaries who will soon be transferred off-island. One will go to the Bahamas, one to the Cayman Islands, and one to Turks and Caicos. Because the immigration takes so long to process missionaries usually serve 6-9 months off-island. We were very sorry to hear about the earthquake and resulting tsunami. We hope relief will soon reach those affected.

Saturday we were able to shop, clean and do laundry. I even took a nap! We invited the Herberts to dinner. They go home Tuesday.

Today we had another day of lightly attended meetings. We miss those who don’t come and hope they can soon find a way to make it more consistently. Financial difficulty is the biggest obstacle. I heard a very interesting thing today. I was teaching my keyboard student and one of the ladies in our branch came over. She mentioned that she wished I taught on other days of the week because she wanted to also take keyboard lesson but she had to go home and cook dinner for her little “pickaninnies”. I hadn’t heard that word since there was such an uproar when Evan Meacham was governor. I thought to myself, “the militant left wingers haven’t reached Jamaica!”

Our power was out when we got home tonight from Yallahs. One of our neighbors said it had been out for about three hours. Since we didn’t know when it would come back on and we didn’t want to open the refrigerator, we had crackers and juice for supper. We were happy when a couple of hours later the power was restored and we had a real dinner and could call our family.

Love,

Elder and Sister Daniels


No comments: