Monday, May 2, 2011

Email: March 7 Jamaican News

7 March 2011

Dear Family,

Last Monday was especially busy for Elder Daniels since the missionaries monthly allowance didn’t get posted to their cards. Lots of missionaries called to check on what went wrong. He also had to write a letter to give notice to a landlord that the missionaries would be moving and then field the phone call responding to that letter. Sister Herbert came to the office to videotape both of us. She is taping all the senior couples, some of the members, and people they have worked with. She said after they get home, they plan to use it as a commercial to encourage more senior couples to come on missions. We watched part of the Worldwide Training for FHE.

I was surprised Tuesday when the paperwork for three new missionaries came—they are all from Canada! Two representatives from the US Peace Corps came to see the mission president that afternoon. They were surprised that missionaries come at their own expense. We stopped at Chilitos for tacos on the way home. Tuesdays tacos are on special—hard shell for $100 and soft tacos for $130. (Remember the exchange is $1 US for approximately $85 JA).

Wednesday I didn’t feel well so took a nap after we got home. I woke at 10:00 p.m. when Paul was coming to bed. So I just got ready for bed and joined him!

Thursday the Schaefermeyers came into the office dressed in their beekeeper veils, hats, and coats. As part of the “food iniative” they have 19 projects set up to raise bees as well as projects to raise goats or pigs or chickens or gardens. They had just received the protective gear and are now working on the boxes, trays, etc. I was happy to receive our Book of Mormon order. They lost our last order so we were getting pretty low.

We had an evidence of the Lord watching over his missionaries this week. One of the Elders called in to ask if batteries for their carbon monoxide moniters was reimbursable. Then he sent in his receipt. The next morning they were awakened by the moniter going off. It was registering 50. The elders watched it go down after they opened the doors and windows. I told him I was surely grateful he followed the prompting to replace the batteries.

Friday morning I went with four of the other senior sister missionaries to a Craft Mall. It was in Old Kingston—Tivoli Gardens area. (the area where most of the problems are). I was disappointed that it was mostly just souveniers instead of handicrafted items. I will probably never go there again. Back at the office, the Smiths (the other senior couple where the husband is serving as Branch President) brought lunch for us. They drove two hours to Kingston to pick up things for their branch. We had a delightful time visiting.

The printer/fax/scanner finally broke down this week. The previous office couple wanted to replace it when we moved to the new office but I thought we could nurse it along. This week we got a new monochrome printer/fax/scanner and a small color printer. Elder Schaefermeyer met us at the mission office and installed them Saturday after we attended a fireside on the Perpetual Education Fund. One of the girls in our branch was going to attend and Elder Daniels wanted to support her. She was so touched by the presentation, she cried throughout most of the video portion. She mentioned what hope this program brings. We are happy the PEF is in place to help her and others like her. While we were at the mission office I assembled some new member packets and sorted the mail so the Flakes, Schaefermeyers, and Herberts could deliver it on their way to Negril and Montego Bay today. We joined the other senior couples for dinner Saturday night to celebrate the Flakes 45th wedding anniversary. After we got home I still had laundry to do and things to get ready for Primary, since we had been so busy earlier. It was a busy P-day.

Yesterday we had a small attendance at church. None of the other Primary workers came so I was by myself. The children loved the salt dough activity after the lesson. They always enjoy singing time, too. After our meetings, we visited a couple of members, met with a landlord, took Tracy Meddow to deliver a wheelchair, and gave a box of donated food to a member. Notice in the picture how happy the girl was with her new wheelchair. Then we helped a member move to Kingston. You can see in the picture how the pickup was loaded. Elder Snelson and Elder Huffaker helped us pack up. Gratefully we had tie-down straps that were able to hold everything securely on the bumpy, windy road. We were also grateful that he lived on the other side of Kingston and not inner-city. We got home after 8:30 and broke our fast.

We were busy today at the office. We have a new couple coming in May and I just got their documents late Friday so worked on immigration today. We could use many more couples. We have the Herberts going home next week and another couple leaves in May.

We hope you are all well. We love you very much.

Love,

Elder and Sister Daniels




No comments: