Elder Anderson, of the Area Presidency, was here last week for training meetings with one of the districts as well as zone leader training. We were not able to attend any of the meetings with him but got some of the messages second-hand. Monday, I worked on baptism records, finalized things for the temple trip for a family of six and one other sister. I had to cancel the ticket for one lady because when she got her replacement visa after she had lost the first one, it came with the wrong birth date. She is hoping to go as soon as she gets the visa corrected. Several missionaries came to the office after the zone leader training at the mission home. They requested lots of things to be ordered. The Humanitarian missionaries printed up copies of the Emergency Plan for the mission. Then we distributed a copy to each branch, senior couple, and zone leaders. The office was a busy place while they were copying and collating!
I didn’t feel well most of the week—I’m grateful to be feeling better. We received notice that we are getting two new sister missionaries—one from London, Ontario, Canada and the other from Hawaii. I ordered return flights for those leaving through September. Then I made copies of the poultry training information for one of the branches here in Kingston. They have 20 families with chicken projects through the Food Initiative Humanitarian project. I sent information to the temple for our upcoming temple trip. Elder Ostberg, one of the Office Elders, installed Windows 7 on my computer and the two computers the Office Elders and APs use. We have had a few glitches, for example, today I couldn’t get envelopes to print. Maybe it has something to do with compatibility of Office 2007 and Windows 7--you could see the information with print preview but the envelopes came out blank.
Tuesday after work we hurried home and called the Church Medical Insurance office about signing up for Medicare part B. We have been trying to get hold of the embassy to see if they have the forms we need to postpone enrolling until after we return home after our mission.
Wednesday I got immigration papers ready for an Elder to be transferred off-island. The APs had to bring him into Kingston to get fingerprinted and start the process for a Jamaican police clearance. I worked with the Panama temple again with more details concerning the temple trip. I had to change toner in both the big copier and the fax/scanner/copier at my desk. I guess that is evidence that we are doing lots of paperwork!
After getting baptisms entered earlier in the week, Thursday I worked on recording them on each participating missionary’s page, the new convert list, CES list, and writing the new member letters. We received a large shipment from Distribution, so had lots of orders to get to the missionaries.
President Hendricks asked that I add copies of the 8 Missionary Principles from the simplified MTC curriculum to the notebooks we give each new missionary. I had several books to update.
We went out to dinner Friday night with the other senior couples and President and Sister Hendricks. We were celebrating the May birthdays. We went to Terra Nova, a very nice and expensive restaurant at a hotel near the mission office. We ate on the terrace and could see the beautiful orchid garden.
Saturday we got up early and did laundry before going shopping. We added things for our 72-hour kit since we are just about to hurricane season. On our way home we got a call that two of the mission vehicles were broken into during a mid-morning General Priesthood meeting for one of the districts. We hurried to the mission office to find a place that could repair the windows on a Saturday. We then took our groceries home and hurried back to the shop to pay for the repairs. That night I made some broccoli/potato soup and prepared some produce for a veggie plate.
Sunday we took Abby and her sister to Church. We had a good group there but were missing several that have come before and many that haven’t come yet. The four children we had in Primary really enjoyed the treasure hunt activity. They always enjoy “singing time”, too. The Primary President did a good job on the lesson. She is quite unsure of herself but is willing to try. We were happy to visit with family after dinner. We were surprised to be able to see Janae, Jothan and their children when we Skyped Amy and Bryce.
Monday we met the Whiteheads, the new couple. They served previously in the West Indies mission as Humanitarian Missionaries. After a year at home, they were ready to serve again. We had a busy day beginning with our devotional. I finally got the tickets for the two Jamaican missionaries that are going to the Dominican Republic MTC. They leave next week and I requested the tickets over a month ago. Elder Daniels went to Portmore to see a possible new apartment for the missionaries there. He also coordinated the test drives for the top three contenders for the three new mission vehicles. President Hendricks and the Office Elders did the actual testing. The Smiths from Ocho Rios joined us for supper, and went with us to Family Home Evening at the mission home before spending the night with us. AT FHE, we played games, visited, and shared our favorite snacks. I took a veggie plate that I prepared Saturday. We love the uplift we get by associating with the other senior couples.
Today we were back at the office. Elder Daniels assisted in a disciplinary council then we had our usual work days. We were relieved that the water was restored after noon. It is so inconvenient when the water is off.
I’m including a couple of pictures this week. The first is an opportunistic goat we saw when we picked up Abby for church—who knew they could stand on their two hind feet to feast out of trees! The second is Elder Daniels with huge and delicious mangos from the Ferrari family.
Love,
Mom and Dad, Sister and Elder Daniels
No comments:
Post a Comment